



## Special Meeting Minutes

### BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF CHUMPCAR INTERNATIONAL INCORPORATED, A Mutual Benefit Organization, 501(c)(7)

January 12, 2018, 8:00PM EST

Present:

Mike Chisek (MC)  
Doc Waldrop (DW)  
Phil McKinney (PM)  
Jerry Enger (JE)  
Bruce Mills (BM)  
Rich Sainato (RS)  
Tiffany Alexander (TA)

A quorum has been met for this meeting which is to discuss Annual Meeting location and date, petition review, and the process for amending the BCCR and VPI tables

As a quorum was present, other Club business may be discussed and was not objected to.

- MC: Welcomed Rich and Tiffany to the Board  
Reviewed agenda for tonight  
Where should the BOD hold its public meeting in 2018?
- DW: Suggested Daytona since it is the largest event of the year and the club could save some money since most of the Board would be there
- MC: Informal poll on who would be there. Only BM was not planning on going so expenses would be minimal  
Suggested we might change location to NCM since it was the first National Championship or perhaps the West Coast  
Perhaps we could do a West & East coast meeting
- DW: Suggested Utah Motorsports Campus
- RS: Okay with either West or East Coast
- PM: Utah weekend we have an additional race in Texas. Suggested we could rotate it between East and West coasts  
Daytona still seems a logical choice

JE: Most of the Board will be at National Corvette Museum so Kentucky would make sense as well. Lots of teams will be there as well.

MC: Informal poll and most BoD members indicated they will be there. Decided the meeting will be there Thursday night around 7PM as to not interfere with registration and tech on Friday.

DW: Pointed out other events happening that weekend including events surrounding the Museum with live broadcast of LeMans

MC: Will talk to track and Country Inn and Suites where staff is staying about space available.

TA: Are there costs involved.

MC: If there are very minimal

PM: The big hot rod meeting is also that weekend affecting room availability

MC: Would advise Board to book rooms now and will check on adding rooms to the staff block

MC: Moving meeting on to petitions

Phil and I have been receiving petitions for about 9 months now and we have around 50 or so to review. About 15-20 of them have some real merit while the rest are mostly dealing with wording and clarifications. We need to find an efficient way to review them and make decisions on them

DW: We could use Google Docs or Slack to aid in the discussions

TA: Perhaps Dropbox

MC: Andrea is typing them up to our petition format and the results of our “yeahs” or “nays” are announced at the annual meeting. We could use a video or phone conference call to debate.

JE: As a safety measure we need to rule on modifying fuel tanks tonight.

RS: We can also discuss at Road Atlanta since most of us will be there

MC: In our bylaws the members will have 30 days to review and comment and we should have them to the membership by the end of February so that will give them all of March to comment

BM: Then we could do a conference call in April

MC: We can break them up into more manageable groups and perhaps review them at Daytona.

BM: I can always fly in for this

MC: The basic timeline is to get them to the board, sent to all the members through Constant Contact, have some way for them to vote/comment. Then we will review their comments and vote with the decisions announced at the annual meeting at NCM

There is no date set for the changes made to the BCCR or the VPI table about when they take effect

RS: I would suggest that raises to a vehicle's VPI happen only once a year while decreases take effect immediately

JE: Increases should have at least a 6 months lead time to give builders as much notice as possible.

MC: Changes to the BCCR typically take effect on January 1<sup>st</sup>

TA: VPI changes after them? Is there a possibility that a vehicle would race for the championship with an increased VPI?

RS: How often would this be an issue? What about a waiver for increased VPI for the National Championship race?

DW: I think it's only fair that they run the championship race with the same VPI they qualified with it for

JE: So the VPI notice may be announced in January, but the effect takes place after the championship race?

MC: Yes, the VPI change is effective after the national championship race

JE: So there would be an exemption to cars that had an increase for the national championship?

RS: Or an option for the team to change their car back. Removing components like splitters/wings?

MC: Yes, those cars could revert back to their log book points when they qualified, or take the points for their changes

PM: We need to think carefully about possible scenarios

RS: The biggest break we have is in the Winter

PM: What Winter break? December is our biggest months

JE: If we make changes to the BCCR and the VPI tables in June that should be enough lead time for the next year

MC: So we should announce changes to the BCCR and VPI table at the same time, once a year

RS: I suggest that safety related changes be made effective immediately

JE: Yes, they can be made through technical directives or bulletins

MC: Clarifications to the BCCR as well can be handled the same way when it involves safety

RS: Yes, technical changes to the BCCR can wait, but safety related issues cannot

MC: Is there a consensus among the board that VPI rulings questions/issues can be answered within 30 days after an inquiry was made but the actual change would take effect yearly? I can put that timeline together.

In regard to the modified tank what happened is we were already dealing with the Tuttle engines after it was brought up by a team watching the ChampCar Live broadcast. Dan opened the hood with the knowledge of the engine that another team provided, and the Tuttle team was advised they would be DQ'd at impound. The team elected to forfeit their results. About the same time we were approached by another team that they were going to protest the fuel capacity of another team that had modified their tank. The protest was denied because precedent had been set earlier that this was allowed.

Should we let this practice continue?

JE: No, the tank should not be modified in any way

RS: Agreed

DW: Agreed

BM: Agreed

PM: Agreed, the vent and the filler neck should be the only things allowed to be modified

TA: Agreed

MC: Agreed

DW: There are some excellent suggestions on the Forum about how this should be worded. Something to the effect that there are no modifications to the physical shell of the tank itself.

MC: Will this affect other components?

DW: This change should not affect other areas. Section 4 of the BCCR deals with Vehicle Value. 4.3.1 states "4.3.1. Non-stock Component Values: ChampCar has assigned a FIXED POINT VALUE that will be applied to MOST nonstock and/or performance components." The key word is "Most"

4.3.3. states "ChampCar reserves the right to apply an additional point value to any component or part on this list that substantially increases the value and/or performance of the car." Fuel tanks do not appear on the list. Furthermore, 4.4.2 states "There is NO SUCH THING as a free part, every part of a vehicle has a value. Parts not covered elsewhere in the rules will be assigned a point value by ChampCar Tech. Fuel tanks ARE covered elsewhere so a change in wording in 9.10.2.1. to "Stock fuel tanks in stock locations OR approved fuel cells are the only fuel sources allowed for competition." does not affect other sections of the rule book. It deals with fuel tanks only. We are not changing the definition of the word "stock"

MC: Phil and I will draft the wording this weekend

PM: I will post it to the Forum on Monday since that is where most of the discussion is taking place.

RS: Since the master kill switch is off during fueling no fuel is being added to the car in the surge tank since it is after the fuel pump

JE: Besides the size of surge tanks is already limited in the rule book already.

PM: I will post it to the Forum on Monday since that is where most of the discussion is taking place.

MC: We will make sure it spells out what parts are and are not allowed to be modified. The ruling will be written this weekend and be effective immediately. It will be emailed to the membership also through Constant Contact.

Having covered the agenda, I think we are finished tonight. We will make plans for our next meeting soon.

DW: Meeting is adjourned at 9:00PM EST



**SECRETARY'S CERTIFICATE**

I, Richard L. Waldrop, certify the following: I am the Secretary of ChumpCar International, Inc. ("CCII") and this document is an accurate account of this meeting;

FOR THE BOARD, AND IN WITNESS THEREOF, I hereby set my hand this January 14, 2018.

/s/ Richard L. Waldrop  
Richard L. Waldrop, Secretary –CCII